The Construction Technician performs labor and skilled natural gas-related mechanical work independently or as a member of a crew, in accordance with Company construction, safety and emergency procedures, to install and maintain natural gas pipe facilities and associated equipment. May perform all functions required of the Construction Inspector. Required to respond to emergencies and implement Incident Command System (ICS).
This position must possess general knowledge of functions relating to the installation and maintenance of natural gas facilities, pressure control procedures and have the ability to read and interpret construction design and as-built. This positon must have mechanical and physical aptitude, as required, to perform assigned duties and the ability to perform all activities associated with position responsibilities and meet all special requirements.
Employees must pass all written tests and/or hands-on training, or simulations as required for this job classification; this includes all the covered task modules for Operator Qualification. Employees must qualify in all covered tasks in their classification and satisfy all applicable requirements under State and Federal law.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Perform labor and skilled mechanical work related to installation, maintenance and operation of natural gas facilities
- Excavate and backfill trenches, cut and thread pipe, apply various coatings on steel pipe and fittings, thermite weld, read and interpret Company maps, construction drawings, join plastic pipe and fittings using heat fusion, mechanical or solvent cement methods
- Operate and maintain low pressure control equipment as required
- Provide situational-specific work direction during emergency response or SWG TAP applications
- Meet and maintain acceptable levels of quality and quantity of work as required
- Perform duties in a manner that is in compliance with Company, local, state and federal regulations, safety and emergency practices and procedures
- Ability to quickly analyze and make critical decisions related to incident response management and work under the Incident Command System (ICS) structure as required
- Successfully complete on-going extensive operator qualification training, and maintain required proficiencies
- Use and maintain protective safety equipment including, but not limited to self-contained breathing devices, flash suits, harnesses and life lines as required
- Operate, clean and maintain assigned vehicles, equipment, tools, and material and complete required documentation
- Operate and maintain leakage detection equipment and conduct leakage surveys as required
- Operate and maintain pipe and cable locating equipment and locate and mark underground facilities as required
- Operate large vehicles and equipment such as, but not limited to, crew trucks, backhoes, trenchers, loaders and boom trucks
- Operate, repair and maintain power and pneumatic/hydraulic equipment including but not limited to generators, pumps, jackhammers, tampers, boring tools as required
- Oversight of preventive maintenance program for all construction related tools and equipment as required
- Train others as required
- Complete written and electronic Company forms and records in neat, legible, accurate and timely manner
- Operate computer based software programs as required
- Perform work as required by new technology to include equipment, procedures and methods
- May conduct a full range of quality control inspections for gas distribution and transmission work, including line locating, leak survey, as required by state and federal regulations
- May perform quality control inspection of contracted construction activity to ensure compliance with Company, state and federal regulations
- May assist supervisor(s) in coordination of Company and contractor resources necessary to complete work in a timely manner
- May assist supervisor(s) in the timely review, reconciliation and processing of as-built and billing documentation submitted by contractor
- May perform quality control inspection on contractor paperwork as required
- May be required to maintain knowledge of Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) processes and requirements
- Perform other duties as assigned with appropriate training
- Regular and predictable attendance is a condition of employment and is an essential function of the job
$26.98 – $35.46
This position is regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT) under Title 49 CFR Part 382 and Part 40. Any applicant/employee who performs a DOT covered function or is licensed and would operate a commercial vehicle for the Company will be subject to drug and alcohol testing under the Company’s DOT drug and alcohol testing programs. Any employment, transfer, or promotion offer made for this position is contingent upon taking and passing a drug test prior to the commencement of the new role. If an applicant/employee fails the drug test, any offer of employment, transfer, or promotion will be revoked.